I have an amusing thought today. Oh so at least I thought its amusing.
I think that people who generally do well in sports are people who are competitive.
Take a look at the sports people around you. Oh by the way, when I say sports , I refer to those who are really, really serious into sports. I mean, if they are not competitive, they won't be able to participate in competitions and win honour for the school isn't it?
I don't mean to say that being competitive is not good. Competitiveness to some extent is for the benefit of oneself, for pushing a person to greater limits that he or she never thought he could. Its to constantly reach for a goal that he or she has always wanted, in sports or whatever arena.
Perhaps its just sour grapes. Perhaps its because I'm not able to achieve what those people are able to achieve. But don't people ever think that being competitive is very tiring? Being upset when people win you? Or when you don't score that goal? Don't people have that i-must-beat-you-or-i-will-lose-face kind of stress? Or the if-you-know-anything-i-must-also-know kind of feeling? Why do people want to learn more so that they can know more than others? Why do people strive to do well because they want to prove that they can do better than others? Why can't people just learn and strive for themselves and compete with just themselves?
Well, I prefer to have games with my close friends, where we would spend all the time having all the fun. It may be a game of badminton or two, or perhaps some volleyball, but a game is nicer without competitive elements in it. By having fun, it doesn't mean that you can't show your talent in the sport, neither does it mean that you are not able to do your best and heighten your level of playing. Personally, I would be happy if everyone else is happy playing the game.
Or maybe I'm just too naive. Maybe people will disagree, and say that people who do not takes sports seriously is not respecting his other team members. Those who are not worthy to be on the playing ground shouldn't be there in the first place. No sour grapes. Society is likewise. If you can not perform, nobody will be kind enough to say, "It's all alright my dear. Try harder next time. Let me guide you along!". Colleagues are not your friends. (Unless you are the super lucky kind). They won't be there to help you all the time. In fact, you are taking away the pay that could have been their bonuses.
Yah, I guess the conclusion of the day is, I'm not ready to fit in to the society. I'm still desperately finding a firm ground that I can stand on. =.=